Shrewsbury Amateur Operatic Society was founded in 1923 by Madame Nina Robinson and the early shows took place at the Royal County Theatre. Apart for periods during the Second World War the Society has sung and danced its way into the hearts of several generations of audiences to the people of Shropshire and beyond. In 1936 the Society moved to the Granada Cinema, a 1500 seat venue, but unfortunately in 1972 the Granada Cinema closed and the Society moved to the Music Hall. In 1985 the Music Hall underwent a major renovation with a totally refurbished stage area and much more modern technical equipment, but once again needed to find a new venue, as in 2009 the Music Hall closed. In 2011 SAOS opened at the new Theatre Severn in Shrewsbury, playing to full houses with their production of Oliver!
Since then, SAOS has performed award winning shows at Theatre Severn such as Titanic the Musical, Chess, Fiddler on the Roof, Sister Act, Return to the Forbidden Planet, A Tale of Two Cities and our most recent production Oliver!
Ninety Five glorious years on and the Society is still flourishing .What a fantastic achievement, especially when you consider some of the turbulent years and historic moments it has witnessed.